Sunday, May 21, 2006

Birmingham Bash....

Yesterday I went up to Birmingham with Lythan, Susan and Adele to meet lots and lots and lots of other crafters from Carolyns... What a brilliant day!

I was dreading it so much, even though I knew i was going to be with other people so wasnt going out on my own as such, but I can't remember the last time I seen that many people in one place so it was a bit nerve-wracking! I coped fine until it was time for the demo's, they had to be set up right beside the door so all the chairs were set out and everyone starting sitting down and I could feel my breathing rate go up so I had to get out quick... think I barged right past a few people to get out before it got blocked completely... I spent that time in the kitchen and in the smoking room, which was nice cos I got to chat quietly to a few others who were popping in and out and once everyone had started moving again I was able to go back into the hall.

Have to admit, it was a day full of highlights - Meeting Nicki from switzerland was brilliant, she is an amazing person - full of vitatlity and a personality that hits you as soon as you see her. Meeting Nicola from canada again was brilliant, I never thought I'd meet her once and now I've seen her twice! I'd love the chance to just sit down and have a proper talk and get to know her better though.... In fact, I could probably say that about everyone there though... there just wasnt time to have more than a quick natter which was annoying in a way!

My ticket was first one out on the raffle which was amazing... to reach the age of 36 never having won anything that involves a draw and to then get picked first was beyond my powers of description.. I think a few people noticed my excitement though.. I was sooooo thrilled. The fact that I came home with a Quickutz was a bonus, I'd have been just as happy with a pen!

Lisa was a gem and totally knocked me speechless by giving me a hair pin that she had made for me, it was stunning and I love it but what I love even more is the fact that someone who doesnt know me went to the trouble to design and make something for me - I dont think she will ever realise how much it has affected me, I felt like crying when I got home and showed it to Stewart... Its not great big assaults from therapists and doctors which pierce emotional armour, its little sniper shots like being given a present by a stranger who cared enough to make it that will bring it down and I think thats probably the most profound thought I will ever have! And now that I've thought it, I realise that it's not the first time a gesture like that has affected me emotionally, there have been quite a few... which is worrying because how many more would it take to render the armour useless? Perhaps when I reach that stage, I won't need it any more which is a comforting thought!

All in all, for me, Birmingham was a complete success and even though I had a few shaky moments I got through it without a single panic attack and I really enjoyed myself. I'm so glad I was stubborn enough to make myself go even though I was dying to drop out!

1 Comments:

At 6:42 AM, Blogger Kelly K said...

Anita, it was so lovely to see you again at the meet and really nice to be able to chat to you at the meal afterwards. I understand a tiny bit about how you were feeling on the day ( I almost didn't go as I was petrified!)but you did great girl!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home